Friday, September 7, 2007

Fetch the Smelling Salts & Tissues

We have broken the $5,000 mark this week! Woo-hoo!

Aaaaaand our fundraising cabaret performance is tomorrow. (How did that sneak up on us?) Michael has assembled a small but crackerjack group of performers (including our little munchkins) and an eclectic song list, and I have a feeling I'll be in a puddle of tears by the end of the evening. We've had some decent press for the cabaret in local papers both large and small, but based on the advance reservations, 99% of the audience is going to be made up of our biological and theatrical families, which is just dandy. They've all seen me cry before.

I'm feeling very rich in friends this week.

Michael is quite friendly with Rose, the owner of The Happy Rooster (a Philly restaurant). Months ago, when he was telling her all about our fundraising schemes, she whipped out a $50 gift certificate to the restaurant and the idea of a raffle was born.

Just a few weeks ago, while out to dinner with girlfriends, I made casual mention of this lovely gesture. Within moments, Cindy & Maureen had come up with a handful of ideas for additional donations from their contacts in the non-profit world. They very quickly turned their ideas into reality, and with only 2 weeks of lead time, they collectively produced 2 (expensive!) tickets to a piano concert at the Kimmel Center, a family membership at the National Constitution Center, and 10 guest passes to the Independence Seaport Museum. Cindy & Maureen are fabulous, brilliant women, and I feel lucky to count them as friends.

On Monday I called in a favor from the one contact I have in the Philly restaurant scene for another meal gift certificate, and we now have 2 substantial raffle baskets for Saturday, collectively valued at almost $500! (If you're local, go have a meal at Rx in West Philly -- tell Greg I sent you. He is the bomb, and the food is terrific.)

And did I mention that the theatre's Board voted unanimously to donate back to the foundation the $250 rental fee for the space? And that friends who have known me since I was 14 offered to come early to help set up the tables and chairs? And that the finale song is "You've Got a Friend in Me"?

So you might understand my feeling a bit verklempt about the whole thing. Plus, seeing my kids perform always makes me tear up.

(Note to self -- don't forget to use the waterproof mascara on Saturday....)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, you got ME tearing up when I got to the "You've got a Friend" part. {sniff} It sounds like you are very rich in friends and family, indeed. You are doing an amazing thing here, lady. It's awesome to "watch", if even from a distance.

Ann