Wednesday, September 5, 2007

My Mom Rocks

My mom wrote poetry as a college student. After a hiatus of being married, raising kids, entering and then leaving the workforce, selling real estate and managing rental properties, and then being an almost-full-time grandkid babysitter, she got serious about writing poetry again a few years ago. Since then, she has been published in numerous small but prestigious poetry periodicals, including Ibbetson Street Press, the Iodine Poetry Journal, and the like, as well as in Fine Gardening magazine. Last year, a collection of her work was published as a "chapbook" by Finishing Line Press and is available on Amazon, which is pretty damn nifty.

She got word last week that she's been nominated for a Pushcart Prize. Way to go, Mom!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way cool!!! :-) Send congrats on to your Mom from me. I still remember that lovely poem she wrote that appeared in Fine Gardening, it really spoke for alot of us gardeners.

Ann

Anonymous said...

Being nominated for a Pushcart Prize is no small potatoes. Congratulations to your mom, and please congratulate her too for raising a very special daugher. Neither accomplishment is negligable.

I've been surrounded by poets for years now, and the Pushcart nomination just blows me away.

Marcia

RuthWells said...

Hopefully, Mom will stop by and see your comments for herself! ; )

Anonymous said...

I just did--and thank you all!! One small correction: I started writing poetry while Ruth and her brother were napping--after my college years! That gave me maybe an hour and fifteen minutes, if I was lucky!!