Friday, July 13, 2007

Prepping for Day Two

Well, the article didn't come out today, which means we'll be heading into Day Two of the bake sale with the same (lack of) publicity that we had for Day One. But! The extra week means that we have time to take a good photo to accompany the article. And the weather forecast is 86* and sunny, which is really perfect cookie-buying weather, if you think about it.

If all else fails, we're going to put a sandwich board on Garrick and let him parade the sidewalks to drum up business.

(I've seen a draft of the article, but am sure that it would be in bad form to post it before it actually gets published. It's a good article! That's all I'm sayin'.)

As a pleasant augury for Saturday, this morning while buying a cup of coffee I ran into one of our customers from last week. Her: "Those cookies were good!" Me: "Great! We'll be there again tomorrow......." (Shameless, I am.)

***********************************

Guess what? We've raised $750 just through donations to the Walk for a Cure link. I am so touched and moved by everyone's responses. The kids had a collective cow when I told them -- our original goal was $500 for the whole project! Can you believe it? Me, neither. Thank you, everyone. You know who you are.

***********************************

So, a minor change in the baking line-up for tomorrow. We were going to make Rose Levey Berenbaum's Mrs. King's Irresistibles, which are basically a granola-oatmeal-raisin cookie. But I couldn't find unsweetened granola to save my life. So, we're substituting Dorie's Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chippers, which would be the cookie I would bring with me onto a desert island if I could only bring one cookie with me. Truly, these things are amazing. I've made them 3 times, and invariably eat more than are good for me, even though I know better. (Luckily, my mom -- hi, Mom! -- likes them too, and she's right down the street, so I usually remove temptation that-a-way.)

But really, what's not to like? It's a peanut butter cookie with oatmeal and cinnamon, and lots of chocolate chips throughout. Great flavor combination, great texture, perfect for dunking in a big glass of milk or eating along side a cuppa tea or coffee. If you haven't made them yourself yet, what are you waiting for?

I started prepping a little late this week -- like, last night at 7:30. The base cookies for the Applesauce Spice Bars are done (2 pans), as is the dough for the Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chippers. Tonight I have to glaze the Applesauce Spice Bars, make and ice/decorate cupcakes, and bake off the cookie dough. Thank goodness for all the leftover buttercreams and chocolate glazes in my freezer, but I'm still going to be up late. Must do better for next week.

But still no oven burns, so I'm doing something right. Pictures tomorrow!

3 comments:

Marcia said...

Ruth you're a natural. Your posts are interesting as well as amusing;you're doing a fine job.
I loved the image of Garrick parading down the sidewalk wearing a sandwich board. That was too good.
I can't wait to hear all about Saturday and to see pictures of your yummy goodies.

sbsterling said...

I made the chipsters on your recommendation over at cookstalk. They were a big hit. Thank you! Way to go with your fund raising campaign!

Anonymous said...

I (and my waistline) are benefitting from the "leftovers." This week's goodies were to die for! Mimi (from down the street)