Friday, July 6, 2007

I need more counter space.

Our fundraising plan grew like Topsy. It started off with a bake sale, which grew into a once-weekly baked goods and lemonade stand in front of our local Co-op (amongst other things). We start tomorrow. PANIC!

I spent July 4 mixing cookie batters and rolling out homemade dog biscuits. I cut over 100 dog biscuits with my cute little bone-shaped cutters.

My lovely and marvelous friend Maureen gave me a new rolling pin for my birthday last week, and I am in looooooooooove (with the pin, not Maureen, but Maureen does kick ass, plus she's a redhead, so it's a close call). I own 3 or 4 rolling pins, but the Kitchen Aid silicone non-stick has won my heart. Nothing sticks to this baby.







So tonight I'm madly scooping batter onto pans, reusing parchment paper so I feel virtuous, and I realize about mid-way through that I have fewer cookies than I thought I would -- by about half. I was super-sizing the cookies, which I don't usually do, so my counts had been pure guesswork. As a result I've spent the evening alternately convinced that I'm not going have nearly enough cookies and that we're only going to sell 3 and have to bring the rest home.
(For the record: we are going in armed with 16 jumbo sugar cookies, 25 jumbo chocolate chip cookies, and 27 normal-sized peanut butter chocolate kiss cookies.) These puppies were scooped with a standard-sized icecream scoop.









The peanut butter cookies were scooped with my medium-sized disher -- the one I use for most home-baked cookies.









That is to say, most of them were scooped with my medium disher. Then this happened:

But, on the bright side, I came through the evening without a single oven burn. All that was left was to get through quality control:

I hope we sell a lot of cookies tomorrow.


3 comments:

GenE S. said...

Just wanted you to know that someone is interested, and reading.

So how did the sale go?

Sue said...

I'll be following your blog of course.

another one curious about the cookie sale - my guess is you could've sold more. :-)

RuthWells said...

Yay! My first commenters! Gene, thanks for posting -- how did you find us?

Susan -- I had to think a bit to realize who you are. ; )